Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Epic Vacay, Day Six: Pompeii, Italy, 6/14/19

Mediterranean sunrise

We slept in a bit and took an afternoon excursion to Pompeii, which the boys were super excited to see.  I had no idea it was so large!  I'm not sure we even saw half of it, but we did have an excellent guide (Federica) who really wowed us with her narrative and extensive knowledge of the area.

A typical street.  All of this was under 15+ feet of ash and pumice after the Mount Vesuvius eruption in 79 AD and this has been an active excavation site on and off for hundreds of years.

I think this trip really opened his eyes to world history events



We were told the people of Pompeii had no idea they were living near a volcano because the mountain was completely covered in lush, dense foliage.  The eruption was so big and so fast, everyone was killed instantly without knowing what hit them.

Creepy.

No comments: