Sunday, March 24, 2019

Jack Takes First Place in Thermodynamics!

Jack's been hard at work since October when he joined the Science Olympiad team.  They meet twice a week after school (with extra meetings in the past few weeks) and there are a variety of events the kids can participate in... Jack's interest/events were Anatomy/Physiology, Game On (designing computer programs), and Thermodynamics.  He made the varsity team for all three events and went to the Regionals that took place yesterday at Rock Valley College in Rockford, where 500 students from 18 schools participated in a day-long judged event.  Thermo was the event he REALLY wanted to win because he put the most time and effort into it.  For the event, he had to design a contraption that would hold a beaker of water at the hottest temperature possible for 25 minutes.  The event is judged on four elements: a written exam, a prediction of the final temp, design of the contraption, and performance.  I was so nervous for him!  There were a lot of events, a lot of awards... nothing for Jack for Anatomy or Game On... then Thermo came up.  Now, for all the other events, the medals were given out to middle schools first, then high schools, but something got messed up with the Thermo awards so the high schoolers got their medals first.  I didn't realize it, and as the names were being read off and Jason and I were sitting on the bleachers with all of our fingers crossed, and didn't hear "Abbott Middle School" I gotta say, I was crushed for Jack... all he wanted to was to make the top 6... then the announcer started with the middle school awards.  WHAT?!  Okay, fingers re-crossed, we perched on  the edge of our seats as schools were read off... sixth, fifth, fourth, third, second, first... ABBOTT MIDDLE SCHOOL!!  OH MY GOSH!!!!!  HE DID IT!!!


First place! 

The Abbott MS crowd (varsity and junior varsity)

Oh, so SWEET!!!  I am so so proud!!!

The top 6 teams go to the State finals in April.  I was told that Jack's score helped get his school into 4th place!
 They're going!!

No comments: