Thursday, October 24, 2013

To-Do Lists

Not sure why, but the boys have the day off school tomorrow, and in the interest of not having them sit in front of a television or computer all day, I suggested that they only be on the screen for one hour at a time and then take a break for a while.  I didn't say how long the break should be, but I just asked them to decide on something else to do that uses their minds and gives them a break from staring at a screen.  Jack sat down at his desk and started working on a schedule for the day, so of course Jason had to come up with one too. 

Jason's needs are simple.  He plans on playing with blocks for one hour (the 1:00), then one hour for his favorite video game, Plants vs. Zombies version two (which he shortened to P.V.Z. two), then one hour building with legos.  He thought this was a good schedule so he drew a picture of himself smiling.  I asked him to write down to "love your mom" so he wouldn't forget, and he graciously added me onto his agenda for the day (exclamation points were his idea):

To illustrate how COMPLETELY OPPOSITE the two boys are, here is Jack's daily schedule.  It's got so much detail it took two pages.  I will review the details below, with my comments in italics:


7:00 - 7:10      breakfast
7:10 - 7:35      color deck box (he's currently decorating the box that holds his Pokemon cards)
7:35 - 8:00      K'nex (a building toy, think Tinkertoys but way better)
8:00 - 8:30      cards
8:30 - 8:45      DS/Pokemon (hand-held video game)
8:45 - 9:00      reading
9:00 - 9:07      looking through desk file (I wonder what he's looking for?)
9:07 - 9:45      computer
9:45 - 10:00    finish K'nex
10:00 - 10:10  Captain Underpants book (reading)
10:10 - 10:15  color box again
10:15 - 10:20  beyblade (a spinning top game)
10:20 - 10:45  cards trade
10:45 - 11:00  reading (for the third time!)
11:00 - 12:00  lunch (Ma's taking them to McDonald's for lunch)
12:00 - 12:04  drive home (how fast does she drive? hope she steps on it!)
12:04 - 12:10  put stickers on Halloween pail (I guess he's getting the Happy Meal)
12:10 - 12:24  DS
12:24 - 12:30  reading (ooh, another six minutes of reading!)
12:30 - 12:45  color Pokemon deck box (is this thing EVER going to be done?!)
12:45 - 1:00    make pitchurs (I hope he makes me one, the fridge is looking a little sparse)
1:00 - 1:45      nap (what?! he NEVER naps when I'm home with him on the weekends!)
1:45 - 2:09      quit this do anything (huh? I'm putting this on my work schedule sometime...)
2:09 - 5:00      free time (aahh! finally!!)

I am thrilled that they both took the initiative to come up with creative solutions for not playing video games until their eyes dry out and fall out of their sockets or they develop deep vein thrombosis from sitting still. We'll see how it goes...

No comments: