
I got up at 5 am today, as usual, put in a full day of work, then stopped off to vote on my way home. I got a really great parking spot and didn't see a line outside the building, as I had for the presidential election two years ago. I thought I'd be in and out and had the nerve to leave my cell phone in the car. What a mistake!
I entered the community college building and was startled to see long lines snaking around the whole first floor. It took about 70 minutes for me to work my way through the line and place my votes, which, although I hadn't seen the kids or Dennis all day, felt compelled to do. This election is just too important -- well, I guess every one of them really is. I wasn't the only one to feel this way...not a single person who came in after me decided to forgo the long wait. Even as I left, people were streaming in. The lady in front of me in line was waiting to place her first vote as a newly-minted American citizen.
I was proud of everyone who showed up and waited in those horrible lines for the chance to place their votes, however misguided I think they might be...I have to believe that a misguided vote is better than apathy. I also want to set an example for my sons, that they need to exercise their voting privilege and civic duty, and to honor the paths that their grandmother and great-grandparents forged by coming to America and attaining citizenship. My 70 minutes in line pales in comparison to their hard work, sacrifice, and persistence.
Well, it was the easiest vote of my voting history...for the first time, a completely straight ticket. For the first time, my choices weren't between the lesser of two evils, it was a vote against one particular party and anyone affiliated with it. If you are wondering which party I voted for you must not know me and I won't bother to spell it out...I'm just grateful to have my choice and the ability to exercise my vote. We'll see what we wake up to tomorrow morning (if the votes are even fully counted by then)...
No comments:
Post a Comment