Sunday, November 8, 2009

Googley Eyes 101

Yeah, it looks pretty innocuous, but when it gets stuck in your kid's nose...


I was daring enough to answer the phone while my children were awake; it was my brother Kevin calling and I actually TURNED MY BACK on the kids for about 18 seconds to have an adult conversation. How dare I? When I turned back around I saw Jason messing with a modeling clay/pipe cleaner/googley eye concoction that he made at Michael's on Halloween, and thought nothing of it. Well, no sooner do I get off the phone then Jason points to his nose and says "eye".

Now, even at two years old he knows his nose from his eyes so I say "no, that's your nose," and he says "Mommy, it's eye in nose." Sure enough, there's a googley eye up his nose. Crap. Now what do I do? I can't exactly grab it -- my fingernails have been torn, ground, and peeled away into non-existence, and all I can think is tweezers. But the thought of putting tweezers in my baby's nose was freaking me out -- he is quite the squirmer, and the little brute is STRONG. It was a battle of wills to even pin him down long enough to look for the eye. Let me tell you, it's pretty disconcerting to look in your kid's nose and see an eye staring back at you.

All that wrangling and worrying, and two good sneezes drove it out of JJ's nose and across the floor, where the dog promptly came and inspected it. I guess it didn't pass inspection -- Murphy didn't bother to try to eat it himself, which is great...the last thing I need is to see a googley eye looking at me from one of Murphy's poops as I'm cleaning up the yard.

No comments: