After a year of playing saxophone, and getting pretty good at it, Jack told us he wanted to try violin. So Dennis went and bought him one in July, which I thought was nuts since the kid hadn't even tried it out yet. Well, Jack picked it up and started playing... JUST LIKE THAT! I'm not kidding. I was downstairs and I heard a violin; I went up to see what he found on YouTube, but it was HIM! Making real music! I asked him how he knew what to do and he said he'd seen his friends play and figured it out. I'm not saying he was perfect, but what a difference between a sax and violin, and he got it!
When school started, the music teacher had him start at the beginner level, which he was quite irritated with, but he moved up to intermediate within two months. His progress is stunning. I am just blown away. Jack asked if he could attend orchestra camp this summer, for four weeks of lessons. Uh, YEAH!
For middle school he picked violin as one of his two electives (!) and will have one hour of instruction per day. Jack informed me tonight that he will definitely try out for a solo in the next concert. I am brimming with pride!!!!! Totally looking forward to the next concert!!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment