Monday, December 7, 2015

Day of Service

Today both Dennis and I went on a field trip with Jack's class to Feed My Starving Children in Aurora, where we assembled packets of food for needy children.  Before we left school we saw a couple short videos that showed how needy some kids are around the world; I thought maybe they were a little too graphic but this is probably the age where the message can really sink in.  Then, we headed to the facility and got some training on how it all comes together.  In short order, we had pretty good assembly lines going, each of us working with a different team of people.  The packets consisted of a vitamin powder, a scoop of dried vegetables, a mugful of soy powder, and a larger mugful of rice. All the materials are donated, and the people working at the facility are all volunteers. We had to assemble, check the weight, and seal each packet.  Every time a team completed a box of 36 packets, the team would let out a yell and cheer.  It was a really nice experience, with Christmas music blaring in the room, and the kids got into it and clearly took pride in what they were doing.  I thought we really accomplished a lot and I think we will go back and give more of our time soon.


Jack working on his line

The assembled packets, ready to box

I think there were about 100 kids and about 20 parents

Jack samples the food

Look at what we accomplished in two hours... enough to feed 57 kids for one year!!

No comments: