Thursday, April 24, 2014

Take the Kids to Work Day

Today was annual Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day, and for the fourth year in a row, I took the boys with me.  We had a neat agenda put together.  First, the boys took part in a mock board meeting, acting as directors.  They approved a resolution to honor the kids participating in the day and discussed and passed an ordinance on how to spend $1,000 on buses and trains.  Then the boys headed to my desk, where I showed Jack how to make a spreadsheet in which he entered all the kids' names and ages.  I showed him how to use formula functions to compute the mean, median, and mode of the ages and then we created a nice colorful chart, which he will take to school tomorrow.  Jason filled this time with making all my co-workers pictures -- all exactly the same -- of a red bird in an apple tree.  


After lunch (at McDonald's, also for the fourth year in a row), we headed to the Chicago Historical Society Museum.  We had never been there before, and it was really neat.  The very first Chicago 'L' train is there.  Jack couldn't resist giving the bunny ears to one of the statues.
 What a character!
 There was a neat temporary exhibition of railroad photography through the ages:
The museum has more than just transportation-related things.  Here, the kids got to put together a Chicago-style hot dog:

We took the bus back to work (my building is the white one on the left).  I always try to get these shots of the boys from the back, walking hand-in-hand.  I must have a couple dozen pictures like this over the years and love every one of them:
 We had a great day!!

No comments: