Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Minneapolis Mini-Vacay
When I realized Jack had off the Friday before Columbus Day as well as the following Monday, I decided we should take a long weekend away so we drove about 5 1/2 hours northwest to Minneapolis. We used to fly there at least once a year when Dennis worked at United, and hadn't been there since Jack was about three months old, so we were really looking forward to seeing the sites. First, we spent Friday (incidentally, my & Dennis' 14-year wedding anniversary!) at the amusement park smack in the middle of the Mall of America:
It was Jason's first time on a bumper car, and he pretty much spent the first half dozen times going around in circles (DONUTS!!) before he learned how to press the gas AND turn the wheel at the same time. Since the Minnesota kids apparently did have school on Friday, we pretty much had the amusement park to ourselves. Here's another ride they went on at least a dozen times:
On Saturday, we headed off to a Firefighters Hall and Museum, which was truly fantastic. We got to see all kinds of fire engines, memorabilia, and even got to ride on a restored antique fire truck around the city.
After a couple hours at the museum, we went to Fort Snelling, which was having an open house of sorts at the National Guard. We got up close and personal to an assortment of military planes. Here, the boys are in the cockpit of a cargo plane. I have no idea what's with the look on Jase's face. We also got to sit in either an F-14 or F-18 (can't remember which); I will put some of those pictures on the picasa site.
On Sunday we hit Como Zoo and the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. Being Sunday, we all had our Bear colors on (of course!). The zoo was phenomenal, and free to boot.
We went at the right time of year...the leaves were all turning and just splendid, the weather was perfect... Minneapolis was really beautiful, and there was tons of stuff for us to do. We ended up at the Mall every day and found fun things to do there besides shop: miniature golf (twice), the Aquarium, and a Mirror Maze, which Jack and I did together. For whatever reason I can't seem to upload any more pix now, so I will go ahead and post this and just put more pictures on picasa, so look there for more. Two thumbs up for Minneapolis!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment