Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Birthday America


We celebrated America's 233rd birthday by going to a parade through downtown Elgin. Oddly enough, the temp only got up to about 65, which was probably the coolest 4th of July I've ever experienced, but it worked out great. I had the kids to myself as Dennis worked, and I was glad to take hot-weather crankiness out of the equation. Check out the parade sticks we made from shopping bags (thumbs up to Family Fun magazine).


We ended up in the exact spot we were at last year, right at the end of the parade route, which was a very good thing as we got a great parking space and were rewarded with lots of candy since the marchers tended to unload whatever they had left to us! Woo-hoo, just what I needed - two kids wired on sugar and tired from the festivities. They both fell asleep in the car on the way home.



Jason paid very close attention to all the marchers until they were out of sight. Not sure if he was really that diligent or just looking for more candy...














This nice, crisp white shirt is about to be covered with red sucker slime which will also appear in his hair, on his car seat, on several sippy cups and, somehow, the back of my shirt.

Note to self: stock up on Oxy Clean.


No comments: